Profile of JIPLP writers: Emir Aly Crowne-Mohammed

Emir Aly Crowne-Mohammed
In this, the fourth in JIPLP's occasional series of features on its authors, we focus on Canada-based Emir Aly Crowne-Mohammed, who has contributed a total of eight articles and current intelligence notes over the past two years.  Emir Aly tells us:
“For the past few years I’ve been a faculty member at the University of Windsor, Faculty of Law. My research interests lie primarily in intellectual property, gaming law, information technology law and legal education. Most of my research can be found on my SSRN site. Recently, I have also grown increasingly interested in the practical aspects of legal education. In previous years I taught legal research and writing within the Faculty, and this semester I’m teaching a course on contract drafting, which focuses on technology contracting.  My patents course is mainly assessed through a written factum exercise, and my torts class is also assessed primarily through a factum and moot.

Within the world of mooting (or moot court programs), I founded and co-chair the Harold G. Fox Intellectual Property Moot.  And this year I founded and co-chair the Donald G. Bowman National Tax Moot (named after the former Chief Justice of Canada’s Tax Court), and also chair the Black Law Students Association of Canada’s Diversity Moot. All three moots are national competitions open to law students throughout Canada, and elsewhere. My mooting ‘mania’ does not end there. I also run the Appellate Moot Training Program at the University of Windsor, Faculty of Law and have co-authored a book on the subject - The Essential Guide to Mooting (here).

Outside of these research and teaching interests, I’m also a Barrister and a Solicitor, an Executive member of our Faculty Union (VP of Status of Women, Diversity & Equity), a member of the University Senate, and Chair of a Judicial Panel at the University (dealing with academic and non-academic student misconduct). Externally, I sit on the Justices of the Peace Review Council (this has "a mandate to receive and investigate complaints against justices of the peace, review and approve standards of conduct, deal with the continuing education plan and decide whether a justice of the peace may engage in other remunerative work”), and am on the Editorial Board of the Gaming Law Review & Economics (here).

Outside of academia, my main obsession is squash. I can usually be found on the court at least five days a week, with the torn ACL (3x) and meniscus (1x) to prove it. But, I will happily accept all challengers – loser buys the first round (Heineken, Carib or Stella Artois please, and thank you).”

No comments:

Post a Comment